23 September 2010

Food is Peace

“I am at peace with the world.” My friend announced this as she put her fork down after taking the final bite of her pollo con mole. I insisted I we went out for Mexican food on September 16th to celebrate the bicentennial. Plus, I wanted the chile en nogada, a dish that only comes out once a year in Mexico. I knew I had picked the right person to accompany me on this mission after she made that statement at the end of the meal.

If there is one thing I appreciate, it is a good meal. I have been known to take a bite (or a sip for that matter) of something delicious and savor the aftertaste for a good five minutes. Usually I am pretty vocal about it as well and will proceed to discuss the amazing flavor with whomever. Think When Harry Met Sally (but perhaps not as obnoxious or as sexual…although in some cases…)

It’s even more fun when I find someone who appreciates food as much as I do, especially when they are very vocal about it—I can then feel a bit less awkward when it takes me twice as long to eat a meal because I insist on exclaiming over every bite. But really, it is so much more enjoyable and satisfying when I can share the experience with someone else. That was one of those moments.

Finishing a satisfying meal is one of the greatest feelings. It doesn’t often happen. For me, I feel like I am so busy I am constantly rushing to eat in the morning as I run out the door, eating at my desk as I take a bit and continue typing away, or eating as I stare mindlessly at the television. It seems like a rare occasion when I get a chance to sit down, relax, focus and enjoy a meal.

I really do try to enjoy my food at all times. But as the days get busier and busier, it is harder to justify spending time “just eating” when there is work to be done (things to do and places to go!) And as I write this, I realize how important it is to allow time for the simple act of eating. Spending the extra few time really does create a more satisfying experience, and not to mention you wont be sitting at your computer after you finish lunch, a) not remembering what you just ate and/or b) craving something more (I always say: “Now I want something sweet…”)

Rather, you may actually feel, as my friend would say “at peace with the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment