09 July 2010

Food Stereotypes

I often wonder what kind of judgments are made every time I order at a restaurant or ring my items up at the grocery store. I am sure that it is not even considered by some, as I am probably the 100th customer of the evening and who really cares if I get the pasta or salad?

But, let’s be honest here, I know there are times you are standing in line at the supermarket, watching that person load up groceries in front of you and deciding what they are going to make for dinner that night. Or even more likely, out on a date and asking that inevitable small-talk question, “so, what looks good?” holding your breath that the other person is not going to say, “Mm, how 'bout that tofu?” (Oh, wait... I have totally said that before…I wonder if that’s why we aren’t still dating?)

Let me not be the first to tell you, not everyone who is vegan is a member or PETA, and not every person who loves the steak house BBQ wears boots and a trucker hat. Just because I tell you that I like organically grown, local food does not mean that I don’t enjoy a juicy medium-rare burger every once in while. And you may love a Coca-Cola and a Mickey-D’s Big-Mac, but that doesn’t make you a tasteless money lovin’ *gasp* capitalist … well, maybe in that case … (I’m just kidding!)

Why do we judge people based on the food they eat? I mean, of course, it is inevitable that we will. Judgment is all around. We LOVE to judge others. I’m not saying it’s necessarily a bad thing, in fact I am an advocate that judgments don’t necessarily have to be negative; sometimes you judge someone in a positive light. And food is one of those things that is easy as we all have our own tastes in food of what we like and don’t like. Therefore, we feel we can consider ourselves well versed enough on the subject to have an opinion on someone else’s tastes.

News flash here, you probably are in no position to hold those judgments about others. Unless Anthony Bourdain or that guy from Top Chef, is reading this right now, I would say the average eater is still discovering new flavors and therefore should try and pass on the forming a solid opinion next time you talk to someone and says they only eat vegan—or, for that matter, only eat professionally cut filet mignon with freshly ground pepper.

I suppose that we can’t help making those quick passing judgments every once in while, especially when it comes down to something that we think we know so well, such as food. But, at the end of the day — don’t knock it ‘til you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment