13 February 2010

This is your brain on food.

You are what you eat. Right? As I sit here, Saturday morning, slightly hung-over (ugh tequila..), I have no choice but to contemplate the consequences. What did I put into my body and how did that truly affected me.

I have never been a picky eater or had dietary restrictions of any kind--to this day the only food that I don't like is Ketchup, and I guess it can be considered food... So un-American! Because of my nonchalant dietary habits--i.e. I will eat anything--I honestly never considered the true impact of food. Yes, when I eat too much, I feel full. Yes, when I drink too much, I am drunk. (That, of course, is the most obvious to me at this moment) To eat something consciously, I am aware of every flavor, spice, and particle that enters my mouth, and with that I am more aware of how those interact within me. (Is this too much information?)

And it is not just our bodies, but as it says in the title, our minds. Alcohol and other mind-altering things aside, do you ever consider how you feel after you eat something? It does change depending on the food. We tend not to think about tracing our moods/emotions/feeling back to the food we ate, but I think that there is a connection to be made. I should probably note here that I am not any kind of official person here, with facts to back up what I am saying, I am simply speculating and coming to conclusions based on my own experience, which in this case, I don't think is too wrong, as eating is very personal act. But, still, take what I am saying with a grain of salt here!

My point is, not only is it important to value food and eat it consciously, but it is SO important to do this. Every choice we make about what we put into our bodies is our own and has potentially drastic affects on us. I guess what I am saying is we don't think about it and we should. Not just on days like this when I am very aware of what I ate, or in my case drank, last night--But I should be aware of it all the time, whenever I consume something. We are innately consumers, but we have become careless consumers and we need to change that.

Excuse me while I go get another glass of water over here...

No comments:

Post a Comment