19 January 2010

Introductions

Food is my passion and thankfully I am still learning... a lot. I have never blogged (save the travel blog written-I think-exclusively for my family) but this is an attempt to create outlet in which I can document my own journey and hopefully share with others what I find. These writings will share my thoughts and offer my insights on how I can live a more sustainable life through the food choices I make.

The important information: My name is Kira. My favorite food is cheese.

The more relevant background information:

I grew up in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire. My parents own a farm where we raise elk (sold for meat) and whatever else my Dad happens to decide upon, on any given day. When we moved to the farm, my Dad called it his "mid-life challenge". I am here to tell you that either he is working on keeping his "mid-life" time alive, or he just really likes a challenge. Every time I visit the farm, there is a new project of his brewing. Sometimes literally, as he enjoys making his own beer and wine, last year was a large garden of vegetables, and that was after the fruit orchard, and the Talapia fish in the basement, and the guinea-hens, and the bee-hive... (I think you get the point) and most recently, he is making his own cheese! (Pleased about this one!) So, I guess you could say that the love for food, creating and sustainable living is in my genes.

Currently, however, I am away from the farm life and living in Washington D.C., finishing my education at American University with a degree in International Studies, focus on Development and Latin America, and a minor in Spanish. I lived and studied in Mexico for a year and spent the following summer in Peru. These all have had an influence on my life in terms of my understanding and passion of food. (To be explained at a later date!)

So, Let the eating, the education, and the good time roll. (May have borrowed that last line...)

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment